Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Taste of Eternity

It was one of those days. The weather was perfect after weeks of hot, humid, stay inside weather it had cooled down enough to open the windows. I sat quietly under the shade trees smelling the clean fresh air. The sun was shinning, a cool breeze caressed my face, and no humidity.

I just closed my eyes and breathed it all in catching a whiff of Honey Suckle blossoms. It’s amazing to me how a simple smell can catapult you back in time. The smell of that fragrant flower made me feel like a kid again.

Feeling like a kid again is a huge accomplishment when you are over 50. For the tiniest of minutes I was 12 years old running through the grass with my friends playing tag, stopping to pick Honey Suckle blossoms to suck on. In that brief moment I felt young, free, safe, happy, everything I felt as a 12 year old child.

I began to worship God in my heart thanking him for that memory and for my blessed childhood. I felt as if He responded saying that these joyous feelings, these feelings of safety, joy, and peace, this is what eternity with Him feels like and I will enjoy these feelings every minute with Him. Oh what a taste of eternity!

All of these thoughts and feelings were only a few minutes in reality but I could feel eternity. For one instant I almost left this earth behind desiring so much to be in that eternity, but no, my work is not done yet, so I stay. But everyday, when I open the windows on a perfect day, when I smell the Honey Suckle, when I run my toes through the soft grass or warm sandy beach, I think of eternity and long to be where He is.

I wish that all children could feel as safe and happy as I was as a child but the reality is that many are faced with hunger, disease, war, and other atrocities that life in this world meets out to the poor and down trodden. The problem is so big! In Uganda alone over half the population is under 15 and 7.4 million of these children live in abject poverty.

I believe I can make a difference in this life to the lives of these children and others like them around the world. Can I reach everyone? No, but I will do what I can and make a difference where I can. How? By using my talents and resources to help these kids through the Friends of TOUCH organization.

You can help too. Sponsor a child, volunteer in the office, hold a fund raiser, pray. This coming spring we will be holding a Gala event that will be a once a year large scale fund raising event and we need every ones help. More information about this event will be coming up in our newsletters and on our web site, begin now to pray how you can help.

Thank u
D

No comments: