Friday, September 25, 2009

Upside Down Stamp


The pile of envelopes around my feet was growing. In front of me was a pile of thank you letters, newsletters, and addressed envelopes waiting for me to stuff. This is an all day event I thought to myself.

Just then my husband looked over my shoulder and said “Stop! You can’t do that!”

“What?” I muttered.

“You can’t send a letter with an upside down flag on it,” he remarked as he pointed to the stamp on the envelope in my hand.

There it was plain as day, the American flag on the stamp was upside down. In my haste to finish this job, I accidentally placed the stamp upside down.

“Why is this a problem?” I asked my husband.

“The United States Flag Code says the flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property,” he remarked.

I stared at the stamp and then it occurred to me that all the stamps with the flag on them on all these envelopes needed to be pasted on upside down so that the children of Uganda can get the message to the American people that they are in distress, danger, and in need of immediate assistance.

Lack of food, shelter, and parental care has devastated a war torn country where AIDS has killed off the working adults. What’s left are starving children. The TOUCH ministry was born out of this great need and Friends of TOUCH was created to help them meet the needs of these children.

A mere $35.00 a month provides food, clothing, medical care, and an education to these kids. That breaks down to one family meal at McDonalds. Even $10.00 will feed them a whole month. Surely American can go with out two Starbucks coffee’s a week to feed a child in Uganda!

Won’t you open your heart today and make a monthly commitment. Visit our web site www.friendsoftouch.org and click the ‘Donate’ button at the bottom of the screen or mail a donation to Friends of TOUCH, PO Box 510, Gloucester, VA 23061

D

No comments: